3.23.2006

TIP: When a word is worth $1,000 (each)

Bestselling author Seth Godin blogged - ...Almost all the instances of disrespect didn't have to do with the substance of the transaction, it was the style of it. If the person had accepted some responsibility and acknowledged how I might feel, the outcome wasn't really a big deal.

"I'm really sorry you had to wait. Mr. Wilson's eardrum exploded and we're doing everything we can to help him."
"I know you worked long and hard to make this deal work, but we just can't figure it out. I'm so sorry we wasted your time."

It's really simple: most of the time, most of your customers will cut you slack if you just acknowledge that the outcome isn't the one they (think they) deserve. People have a hard time with this. If someone feels as though they're treating you technically correctly, they don't want to apologize. They don't want to acknowledge the feelings of the other side. This is awfully short-sighted. These are words that are worth thousands and thousands of dollars in lost sales and word of mouth.

"You must feel terrible about what happened. I know I do. If there were any way I could figure out how to make this better for you, I'd do it." When isn't that a true statement when you're dealing with an unhappy customer?

Category: C++ Quant > Fix the Job You Got > Ordinary vs Extraordinary

No comments:

Post a Comment