9.02.2005

RANT: What is a Quant? II

When people I meet at parties ask me what I do for a living, I tell them proudly (most of the time anyway), "I'm an Quantitative Analyst." In a heartbeat, they get that blank look on their face, "Ohhh. And what exactly is that?"

I don't know how one supposed to explain Quantitative Analysis in a short, concise manner, but I usually say something like "...through advanced mathematical and programmnig techniques, we try to model, analyze, and predict the markets...", most of the time it still leaves the person clueless.

Then I decide to try a different approach. I start the response with a joke: When Harry Truman and Tom Dewey faced off in the 1948 presidential elections, Dewey went to bed convinced he was the next president of the United States. He said to his wife, "Dear, tonight you'll be sleeping with the President of the United States." But when he awoke, he learned that Harry Truman had won. Mrs. Dewey said to her husband, "Tom, will I be going to Washington or is Mr. Truman coming here?"

I then continue: Mr Dewey analyzes and predicts elections, I analyze and predict the market. That tends to help me get past the blank look.

Category: C++ Quant > Random Walk

1 comment: