5.09.2005

TIP: Be aware of what you are compromising

The trader says, "I think 4 weeks is just a bit too long to deliver this spreadsheet. You can get it done in 2/3 of that time, can't you?"

The Quant nods in agreement and hurries off to development. The easiest way is to reduce the work in each task by 30%. "Something has to give", the Quant tells himself. "I'm a team player. I didn't insist on my schedule. I made a compromise.... next time I should probably pad the timeline so that arbitrary changes do not cripple the effort before it even starts. "

The trader have learned a lesson too. The trader has learned that the Quant's plans have a lot of "padding" built in and next time, the schedule will be shorten 50%, not just 30%.

Category: C++ Quant > From The Trenches

1 comment:

  1. Hi there

    Thanks for the mention of my article about monetisation and open source. Yours looks like an interesting blog...

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete